Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Tuesday 7 February 2017

Sudan - Indian Army units & York show

I finished the final unit I needed for the Indian army brigade that was was involved in the Sudan. The unit is the 17th Bengal Infantry the Loyal Poorbeah. Its made up from Perry metal figures and has them with covered turbans. It is 60 figures in close order, two separate officers and a mounted officer. Nice simple khaki colour scheme.

The entire brigade consists of the 15th, 17th and 28th Bengal supported by the Queens Own Madras Sappers and Miners.




The full brigade in square watching our for the Fizzy Wuzzies.


Last weekend also saw an attendance at Vapnartak the York show - the first of this years.  I will be at Hammerhead in early March with the Sudan game coming up too.

As the lead pile has been significantly reduced I did I have a bit of stock up. I picked up more terrain items, some hills which just need a bit of PVA and sand adding to match my existing ones. A ready made set to make up a wadi , and some more wall bits. I stocked up a few figures for the last Camel Corp regiment (Mounted Infantry), some Bashi Bazouks and figures suitable for crewing a paddle steamer. I picked up a few books as well.

the Wadi sections about 7 feet altogether

Vac form hills , and ready made ones

Figures and some tokens to use as markers 

Yes that does mean a future Zulu project!


A good day out , meeting up with various friends through the day. Next weekend sees a full days gaming with the Sudan collection in use for the battle of El Teb




28 comments:

  1. Excellent figures as ever Dave. how come when I want terrain items I can never find them but yet others seem to just fall over them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I even went looking for something to make a wadi too!

      Delete
  2. Good double themed post! Sudan figures look terrific en masse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of the Brigade in Square looks great! Got to definitely say I like the look of all those Indian units, and will report in that my Black Powder reading is coming along nicely (just read the Command rules and I really like how command and movement works) - I'm thinking about bringing a paper pad and pen, to write out unit orders for the turn before working down the list and rolling dice. That way I can't chop and change unit orders depending on how well the unit before reacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Roy. Me too enjoying reading through

      Delete
  4. Cracking unit especially the square!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome mass effect and splendid post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could sit and look at the picture of the square for ages Dave, a thing of beauty. Just a little bit excited about the prospect of a Zulu project! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Michael... the various imperial brigade shots will be long shortly too..

      I will so need a bigger man cave with Zulus as well ... but its going to be fun!

      Delete
  7. Good to meet, zulus! I daren't ask how many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Collecting for the Zulu armies needn't be too many.

    Its probably easiest to collect for 1816, when Shaka inherited around 300 men loosely formed into so-called regiments. The other 200 youths being used for menial tasks and so not assigned to units.

    Its far more interesting to do the Zulu army at 1:1 scale, and under the leadership of Shaka Zulu, than the Anglo-Zulu War ... No? Oh, its just me, then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive brigade.....very nicely presented🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent troops and a nice haul from York Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful looking unit Dave. The Indians do always seem to put up a sturdy fight in my games that's for sure. Love the wadi and the Vac hills btw. Look forward to seeing the report of El Teb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those wadi sections look very effective. Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, yes they were just what I was looking for.

      Delete
  13. The troops look excellent Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's something quite wonderful about a square of that size and in 28mm scale. A thing of beauty Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed there is - and i can now do four of em!
      cheers matey

      Delete