Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Saturday 18 February 2017

Sudan - Bashi Bazooks and Mounted infantry

Typically of  course when I came to run the recent battle of El Teb and looked at the OOB there were a couple of small scout/skirmish cavalry units in it. While I could have just used some of the existing units that were not planned to be used I decided to actually get on and paint these up.

These bring a nice splash of colour to the table

I was really impressed with the standard of the casting of these (big improvement Perry - big tick from me)  , and faces are really good. The first 6 completed - I think I will take these up to a 24 figure unit.


I picked up some Boer War Wargames Foundry mounted infantry figures at the York show . They mix in well being sculpted by Perry's anyway - almost near identical bar a different water bottle and kind of rifle - I can live with that. I also found an Empress Miniatures figure in patrol jacket which I just fancied painting up.




Both these units were fielded last weekend - while neither actually ran away - I don't think they did much - but at least they are now blooded!






18 comments:

  1. The Bashi Bazooks moved into a forward position and engaged the rifle-armed skirmishers in the wooded area in front of the dried river bed - Can't remember what they did to the enemy, but I don't believe they suffered any casualties themselves.

    The Mounted Infantry failed to activate for the first 2 or 3 turns, eventually I got them to move to a central, reserve position behind the British general, then they were moved into a forward position, on command of the two 'right-column' brigade commanders, to engage with rifle fire the Beja units that had previously engaged the RMLI (if memory serves correct). They didn't cause any casualties, nor suffered any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the Bashi's did have a try .. I don't think they hit anything though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful additions Dave, I love those Bashi Bazooks, really great looking sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More awesomeness! You are definitely inspiring me to get my TMWWBK stuff finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Dave - full of character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding stuff once again Mr D. The colours are superb, and I love the shading your technique on the horses achieves. Stunning work, my good sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers.. and plus point is the horses are really easy to do like that too !

      Delete
  7. Wonderful looking cavalry, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surprised it has taken you this long to get to the Bashi Bazooks mate. Lovely work regardless...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been on the "to do" list for a while ..good to have em started

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great ..nice addition to an already very large collection 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... still a few bits n bobs to do too!

      Delete
  11. Ah, you're at the stage where you can afford the luxury of the smaller units, which I think really add to the whole.
    Two great looking units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's nice to have those options to really give it extra life

      Delete